Our East York research into interpersonal ties clearly showed that one of
Granovetter's criteria for strong ties, frequent contact, was independent
of other criteria: structural embeddedness, perceived social closeness.

Frequent contact predicted to routine material aid.
The other criteria (which we called "tie strength") predicted to
sociability and emotional aid.

In short, social capitalists should maintain a diversified portfolio.

See Wellman and Wortley's papers in Sociological Perspectives (1989) and
American Journal of SOciology (1990): the latter is on my website.

 Barry