Hi Edmund.

A few references come to mind (some are my work, and some others):

1)  Petersen, T., I. Saporta, and M. Seidel (2000).  "Offering a Job:
Meritocracy and Social Networks"  American Journal of Sociology Volume
106(3):763-816.

2)  Seidel, M., J. Polzer, and K. Stewart (2000).  "Friends in High
Places:  The Effects of Social Networks on Discrimination in Salary
Negotiations."  Administrative Science Quarterly Volume 45:1-24.

3)  Fernandez, R., E. Castilla, P. Moore (2000).  "Social Capital at Work:
Networks and Employment at a Phone Center."  American Journal of Sociology
Volume 105(5):1288-1356.

4)  Fernandez, R., N. Weinberg (1997).  "Sifting and Sorting:  Personal
Contacts and Hiring in a Retail Bank."  American Sociological Review
Volume 62(6):883-902

Hope that helps,
Marc-David

> Any encouragement, criticisms, references? Would the more quals
and > quants ends of the SN spectrum think it was possible to tackle this
> by quals or quants alone?

Marc-David Seidel
McCombs School of Business
University of Texas at Austin
Department of Management
CBA 4.202
Austin, TX 78712
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

-- "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
           -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march
              of science, 1949

-- "Change is inevitable.  Except in vending machines and large
    organizations."