Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:24:45 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] (Steven Corman)
Subject: Re: A window in the American souls -- politics and book co-purcha sing patterns

No one has commented on the substance of this map, but it's pretty interesting.  Consider mapping it onto the contemporary American political sphere.  On the right, we have the voices of the right wing tv networks like Fox News--Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hammity, etc., and the current administration (Fighting Back:  The War on Terrorism from inside the Bush white house).  Only G. Gordon Liddy (When I was a kid..) and perhaps Pat Buchanan (Death of the West) could be considered beyond the pale of the corporate media/mainstream politics.

On the left side, we have a number of voices that would usually be considered centrist or even conservative (Barber, Huntington, Friedman, Nye) who contribute to op-ed pages of the major newspapers.  Then, to their left, is a whole spectrum (Vidal, Chomsky, Moore, etc) who are entirely excluded from American corporate/mainstream political outlets (although Moore admittedly had a couple of TV shows on premium cable channels some years ago), and whose views are mostly distributed through the internet, lecture tours, independent films, and bookstores.

This diagram, then, would seem to give some legitimacy to left-wing complaints that their views are excluded from public debate, while not bearing out similar grumbling on the right, except perhaps for the fascist/racist corners of Liddy/Buchanan (although the latter had a long running show on CNN).

Strikingly absent from this American map are international left perspectives on the world--Ali, Roy, Monbiot, etc.  Linking the two sides is Bernard Lewis, whose views on the Middle East are somewhat disreputable in contemporary academia.

Steven Sherman