> of significance. What about email lists, where presumably the message
> content could be reviewed to glean an idea of the nature of the
> relationship, and where contact by email could be less personal? Is this a
> new ritual, required in an age where details of people we know are stored
> electronically, yet may not be known by those (kin) closest to us.

   Such problems are approached by the so called Semantic Web.
   One of the key ideas is also replacing 'blind' links with 'semantic'
   links. See
    http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?articleID=00048144-10D2-1C70-
84A9809EC588EF21&catID=2
   for details.

   Vlado

Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, Department of Mathematics
  Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

tel:  +386 (0)1 4766 672          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
fax:  +386 (0)1 4766 685          WWW:    http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/