> However, I'm not cinvinced that ties or the lack
> thereof enabled this. I do think it is possible to sketch the
networks of
> some core actors. But, I also think that for the majority of people,
the
> decision to demonstrate was affected more by their individual
concern about
> this war then their network structure. My idea is that by
approaching it
> immediately from a network perspective, we're missing an important
part of
> the picture and that alternative explanation might be very likely as
well.

Hm. I have a number of mailing list entries that suggest that it was
*very*
networky. There's nothing like a call on a friendly email list--"hey,
folks,
I'm going to the SF protest, where can I meet any of the rest of you
going" to make it very clear that there's a lot of Granovettering
going on.

Certainly, many of my friends in San Francisco didn't feel like going
(too crowded? weird vibes? whatever) to protests without a group of
friends going with them.  And a lot of networks that don't seem like
they
would be concerned with the war keep turning out to be. Which means
that
this sort of issue happened everywhere from a street corner meeting
for SF
GOTHS to social groups going together.

Yes, I know that much of the decision is individual. But much of the
attendance is clustered. I'd love for someone to be out there studying
that, actually.... I'm tempted to contrast Rheingold's "Smart Mobs"
book,
where he talks about (among other things) SMS-wired flash crowds.
Which give the sense, at least, of being connected by social networks.

Danyel