Ferry,

> What I meant is that I'm not sure whether mapping
> the network structure of the people that demonstrated suffices to understand
> this form of collective action. At a very basic level of network theorizing,
> we could ask if it where cohesive networks or structural holes that made the
> demonstrations possible. However, I'm not cinvinced that ties or the lack
> thereof enabled this. I do think it is possible to sketch the networks of
> some core actors. But, I also think that for the majority of people, the
> decision to demonstrate was affected more by their individual concern about
> this war then their network structure.

        Several articles in places like the Economist and my own experience
with anti-war groups lead me to believe that the anti-war movement is very
much a social network based on a simple frame: war is bad -> protesting
will getout the message/change things -> we must protest.  Within that
frame the reasons are diverse, but the frame is broad enough that it is
able to include many explanitory stories.   It strikes me as a wonderful
example of emergance in social networks and it would be great if it
were possible to see it over time in Pajek or something like that.

-Don
Don Steiny - Central Coast Angel Network - www.ccangels.net
  125 Mission St #3 - Santa Cruz, CA 95060 - 831.471.1671 - fax: 831.471.1670