> The recently paper written by Huberman et al. presents a nice algorithm
> that corroborate our results in a company half of the size of our
> university. Nevertheless, the algorithm of Girvan and Newman discriminates
> communities up to the size of individual persons and is a matter of choice
> to define the minimal size we assign to a community. We argue that the GN
> algorithm complemented with the full visualization of the binary tree is an
> excellent tool for management purposes.

In fact, as far as I can make out, the paper by Tyler, Wilkinson, and
Huberman, which is under discussion here, also uses the algorithm
created by Michelle Girvan and myself that Dr. Diaz-Guilera mentions.
(For the larger components they use a slight variation of it that
employs path sampling rather than total path counts, but it's
fundamentally the same method.  For the small components they use
precisely our method.)  So I believe it should not come as a great
surprise that the two studies find similar results.

Best wishes,
Mark Newman.

--
Prof. M. E. J. Newman
Center for the Study of Complex Systems, University of Michigan and