Hi- I am relatively new to social network analysis, so I apologize if
these questions are rather basic.

I'm working with an adjacency matrix that is both polytomous (a 0 to 3
scale) and asymmetrical. I would like to make the matrix symmetrical and
dichotomous (using the transformations in UCINET). Are there any
guidelines for the proper way to apply these tranformations?

For example, it seems intuitively that, in symmetrizing, taking the
average of two relations would retain more variance than taking the
minimum or maximum of a relationship. Is the average therefore
preferable in symmetrizing, or are there other factors to consider in
the method chosen?

Also, in dichotomizing the data, is there a standard method for
determining the cutoff used? The scale used in our measures have a point
that, conceptually, makes sense to draw the cutoff, but I'm not sure if
there's a quantitative method of finding a cutoff that's preferable. I'm
working with several different but related networks, and I would like to
keep the cutoff the same in all of them.

Finally, in both symmetrizing and dichotomizing, which should be applied
first?

Any thoughts, opinions, or references would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Allan Clifton