Carter, thank you for these references and thanks also to Ainhoa and Ferry
for raising this topic for discussion.

The worldwide protest movement definitely gained a lot of momentum in the
months leading up to the war and it would be a huge loss of social capital
if the network infrastructure that has been built up was to unravel now that
the war has started, perhaps due to feelings of disempowerment (which is a
severe risk here in the USA, given the biased media coverage of the
international protests).  Certainly, this movement has benefitted to some
extent from the remnants of the network infrastructure that supported the
Vietnam War protest movement - some of the original Vietnam organizers were
central to organizing recent protest events in Seattle.  Digital
communications (from email alerts and friends' mailing lists to
international news sites) were a key medium through which the messages about
various protest actions were communicated and through which critical
information, that wasn't getting mainstream media coverage, in the US at
least, was being disseminated (such as the questions surrounding the health
impacts of Depleted Uranium, the considered reservations expressed by
various politicians and high ranking military officers, the 'bribes' made to
various countries to gain their support for the war and, probably most
powerful, accurate reporting on the extent of opposition to war).  Besides
being tool for grassroots democratic action, the movement has had numerous
other positive social externalities so a social network analysis of the
movement definitely has much to contribute.

Jackie Cook.