Dear colleagues,

I have to say that I am surprised of the apparent apathy on this list
about the current situation in the world. Maybe members are
expressing their concern as citizens elsewhere otherwise. However I
think that from our position of  scientists (and scientists-citizens)
we also have something to say.

As for me, as much as I felt and expressed sympathy after September
11th to the people in the United States, I cannot keep myself from
thinking that I am also connected to the innocent people who are
already suffering the consequences of the war in Iraq. If we think of
the world as a global network, as a small world, I don't see why the
"six degrees of separation" between two human beings should be
morally different in any direction.

As much as there was some discussion on terrorist networks after
September 11th, I would be very interested to read (to keep in the
scientific academic topic that concerns this list) what this
community has to say about for example:

- How in such a short time so many people all over the world have
coordinated their action to manifest and protest against the war and
for peace? What kind of networks arrangements have allowed for that?

- Given that some governments are deaf to the public opinions in
their countries (the president of Spain supports the war while 92% of
the population is against it, of the percentage of US citizens who
have a position on the war there are more who are against it than for
it -according to www.people-press.org-) how can civil society enhance
their collective action to make more effective pressure on their
politicians? What is the gap in the networks between the elite and
the rest of the population? How about these same questions at the
level of networks of countries, how can lateral pressure of (many
more) countries be more effective towards more powerful (few) central
actors?

- How is humanitarian action most effectively organized? What
networks ensure best participation and distribution?

- What kind of actors' (individuals, organizations) daily behavior in
the existing networks, what kind of terms of exchange would ensure a
more equitable distribution of power and wealth across the globe? How
to obtain more horizontal networks?

These are just a few examples. I am sure that the creative scholars
of this community have many more relevant questions about networks in
the current global situation and maybe even answers to some of them.
I think that any of the questions this war rises has more societal
relevance than much of what we -at least I speak for myself- are
working on. We have the privilege to have more resources to be aware
of the world than most, and to have so many possibilities to think
and express our thoughts. Ladies and gentlemen, please, let's use
them, in the academy, elsewhere, maybe we can make our part of
difference to avoid more horror in the world and instead obtain more
peace.

Yours,

Ainhoa de Federico

--

Ainhoa de Federico de la Rúa

PhD at
Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille (France)
Universidad Pública de Navarra (Spain)

Currently Marie Curie Fellow at the ICS-Groningen (The Netherlands):

ICS
Grote Rozenstraat 31, kmr. 104
9712 TG Groningen
The Netherlands

Office Tel: +31(0)50-363.62.01

e-mail:

GARES, Groupe d'Analyse des Réseaux, Espaces et Structures Sociales:
Groupe of Analysis of Social Networks, Structures and Spaces:
http://www.univ-lille1.fr/gares/ - site web