Years ago, when I was getting interested in networks for psychotherapeutic practice ("network therapy" actually persists in social welfare states in Europe - long gone from its capitalist US birthplace), I read Matthew Miles, and educator interested in networks for innovation and problem solving.  It was a fairly well-developed descriptive account of teachers forming intentional communities around educational technique.  I found it valuable in the formation of the Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology 30 years ago, a psychology internship program whose initial NIMH grant included Carolyn Attneave, a network intervention pioneer, among its consultants.  Particularly useful was its treatment of the central figure in such innovation networks, using constructs like volunteerism, trust, etc.

Here's the only reference I could find:  Miles, M. (1978). On "networking." Washington, D.C.: National Institute of Education.   I believe that I could dig up an unpublished manuscript, as well.

David Trimble