RE: A window in the American souls -- politics and book co-purchasing patterns
Gad, It looks like your view differs a bit from Steve's. Whereas you seem to warn against an artifact of data collection, a flaw in how the network is generated, Steve seems to be calling attention to a social process (which need not involve Amazon) thath amplifies small differences into mutually exclusive factions. I find Steve's observation interesting because I've been fooling around with Jose Luis Molina's NetMirror concept in which (in the context of a consulting engagement) you repeatedly feed back to a group a picture of their own network structure. Jose Luis and I have largely assumed (but will be testing) that the effect of this will be to create a less differentiated, more integrated structure as peripheral individuals scramble to achieve less exposed positions. But Steve's observation suggests that NetMirror could actually create more differentiation and factionalization. Clearly, what's needed is a theory of when it goes one way or the other. Steve gives a path-dependent kind of explanation where any tendency toward factions at the beginning tends to amplify, but would that imply that feedback always leads to factions, since every group probably contains such proto-splits?

steve (b)
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Gad Yair
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 1:43 AM
Subject: Re: A window in the American souls -- politics and book co-purchasing patterns

After showing my graduate students how neat network analysis is – and admitting that the idea to do this analysis is indeed bright – I, like Steve Corman, feel that it is important to keep in mind the way data are generated.  While network models try to show that people are not independent (and in that sense, there is a family resemblance to HLM models), in the case that Valdis beautifully shows there IS the problem of artificial generation of "buddies", and therefore the mechanical generation of data-dependence.  In essence, buyers' de-facto tastes were generated by the computerized persuasion system, and we cannot assume that these tastes are independent of the machine-generated-buddy-list. Steve is accurate in suggesting that Amazon at least partly manufactures these data, capitalizing on the first purchasers' tastes – so we might be seeing the logic of capitalistic amplifying machiner*ies more than individuals' independent tastes or political views.  This again tells us the 'be-cautious' tale that measurement and theory are linked in important ways, and that a theory about social behavior should "talk" with the appropriate theory of data generation.

Despite this minor critic of a beautifully undertaken project of a bright idea – Valdis's project can teach the 'manufacturers of consent' how to tinker with their 'buddying machine' so as to increase sales.  After all, network analysis can become a powerful strategic tool in a powerful mode of production.

Either way – this neat study does tell a story of an American Soul…

Bravo for the ingenuity, Valdis!

Gad Yair

Department of Sociology & Anthropology

School of Education