Steven Sherman's interesting point about Putnam's overestimation of
communal sensibilities in the past is nicely illustrated in Jason Kaufman's
new book *For the Common Good? American Civic Life and the Golden Age of
Fraternity.* The book is directly addressed at Putnam's work and argues
that the types of organizations touted by Putnam were actually divisive and
exclusionary, especially along the lines of race, class, and gender.

Danielle Kane