There's an old paper on the spread of influenza that used airline routes
as the transmission network:

Rvachev, L. and I. Longini (1985). "A Mathematical Model for the Global
Spread of Influenza." Mathematical Biosciences 75: 3.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Wolf Bob wrote:

> Dear SOCNETers
> Has anyone turned social network analysis on the airline industry?  Possibly
> regarding either airports or final destinations as nodes and flight segments
> or passenger volume as links?  I would be interested in any related papers
> and possibly to connect with those who have done work in this area.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bob Wolf

 Blumstein-Jordan Professor of Sociology and Statistics
 Department of Sociology
 Box 353340
 University of Washington
 Seattle, WA 98195-3340