In addition to providing a conversation archive, our studies suggest that there are also other reasons people prefer email, such as the ability to send documents or links (not possible over the phone), sending messages to groups, or as a means of conveying a different level of message priority (usually, emails are less urgent than voicemails, for example).  But when it's really important, people will flood all communication channels.

Josh Tyler
HP Labs