Stuart,

These may be of interest to you, they all address the emergence of informal
leadership in one form or another.

J.C. Johnson, J. Boster, and L. Palinkas. "Social Roles and the Evolution of
Networks in Isolated and Extreme Environments. The Journal of Mathematical
Sociology (in press). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

J.C. Johnson and B.R. Finney. "Structural Approaches to the Study of Groups
in Space: A Look at Two Analogs," Journal of Social Behavior and Personality
1(3):325-347, 1986.

J.C. Johnson, L.A. Palinkas, and  J.S. Boster "Informal Social Roles and the
Evolution and Stability of Social Networks". The National Academy of
Sciences, National Research Council (In Press).

Jeff Johnson