Stuart,

With regards to leadership, see:

Valente, T. W., & Davis, R. L. (1999). Accelerating the diffusion of innovations
using opinion leaders.  The Annals of the American Academy of the Political and
Social Sciences, 566, 55-67.

and in the next few months:

Valente, T. W., Hoffman, B. R., Ritt-Olson, A., Lichtman, K., & Johnson, C. A.
(in press).  The effects of a social network method for group assignment
strategies on peer led tobacco prevention programs in schools.  American Journal
of Public Health.

--
To learn more about my evaluation book go to:
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html
My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/
---