From: "Valdis Krebs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: Network analysis of airlines

> Current issue of Scientific American, May 2003, addresses the very basics
of this issue in the "Scale-Free Networks" article by Barabasi and Bonabeau.

> It would be interesting to see the differece in network structures/metrics
between the profitable and 'near-bankrupt' airlines... although I'm sure
their success, or lack of it, is not based purely on their network topology.

> The basic hub-and-spoke data is in the back of each airlines' in-flight
magazine, just got to find some poor schlep to enter it all!  The actual
customers flying each link, during various time periods, is probably a
highly guarded secret by each airline, so you would have to guestitmate by
counting the number of scheduled flights on each link, or something like
that.

> Good Luck!  Let us know what you find out.
>

> Valdis
>
> P.S. The full text of the SciAm article is only available to subscribers
on-line.

> ---- Wolf Bob <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
> >
> > Dear SOCNETers
> > Has anyone turned social network analysis on the airline industry?
Possibly