From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Mark Newman
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 1:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Email networks and communities

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 18:48, Steve Borgatti wrote:

> BTW, this is kind of fun to play with interactively using NetDraw. In
> Ucinet, run Edge Betweenness. Then in NetDraw, open the
> edgebetweenness matrix as a network. Then in the Tie window, set the
> dichotomizing operator to LT and the cutoff to the largest edge
> betweenness value. Then repeatedly press the "-" button to
> systematically lower the cutoff. As you do, you see components emerge.
>
> steve.

My experience with UCInet is not great, but I believe the calculation
you describe is not the same as our algorithm, and our studies suggest
that in most cases it will not give useful results.  It appears to miss
out the step in which the edge betweennesses are recalculated following
the removal of each edge.  This step is crucial to the generation of
meaningful structure.

As far as I am aware, neither UCInet nor any of the other general-
purpose SNA programs can in their present form be used to implement our
method (other than laboriously performing the recalculation step by
hand).  Of course, it would be possible to add code to UCInet to do so,
and this might be sensible, seeing as the method has been used by quite
a number of people since its first publication.  I'm assuming each
group implemented their own version - at least they didn't ask Michelle
Girvan and me for our code - and this seems like an unnecessary
duplication of effort...

Best wishes,
Mark Newman.