This is true. I have an article forthcoming in Social Forces (June) on
discussion groups of managers, though the network-effects paper, which
might be more relevant to you, is still under review. There is some work
in the small groups field that might be relevant, especially

Robinson, Dawn T. and James W. Balkwell. 1995. "Density, Transitivity,
and Diffuse Status in Task-Oriented Groups." Social Psychology Quarterly
58:241-54.

The paper I have under review is available upon request, inscribed upon
a $21 bill -- sorry, Boston/NPR humor.

David Gibson

--
David Gibson