*From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
*Behalf Of Lew Friedland
*Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 8:09 AM
*To: [log in to unmask]
*Subject: recognition of complex networks
*
******  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
*
*Does anyone know of studies that document the ability of actors to
*accurately recognize the pattern and extent of networks in which they
*themselves are embedded, particularly complex community networks? I am
*interested in how community and civic actors see and navigate  (or not)
*both their immediately surrounding networks and more extended community
*networks that are relevant to issue domains.
*
*Thanks in advance.
*Lew Friedland
*
*
*Lewis A. Friedland
*Professor
*School of Journalism and Mass Communication
*Sociology
*UW-Madison
*821 University Ave.
*Madison, WI  53706