OSDN url = new Array(4); title = new Array(4); url[0] = "tools.devchannel.org"; url[1] = "hardware.devchannel.org"; url[2] = "hpc.devchannel.org"; url[3] = "webservices.devchannel.org"; title[0] = "Development Tools"; title[1] = "Hardware"; title[2] = "High Performance"; title[3] = "Webservices"; index = Math.floor(Math.random() * url.length); document.write("| " + title[index] + "<\/A>"); | Newsletters | Shop     X
Welcome to Slashdot Programming Music Games Sun Microsystems Movies
 faq
 code
 awards
 journals
 subscribe
 older stuff
 rob's page
 preferences
 submit story
 advertising
 supporters
 past polls
 topics
 about
 bugs
 jobs
 hof

Sections
apache
Apr 2

apple
Apr 11
(7 recent)

askslashdot
Apr 11
(11 recent)

books
Apr 10
(2 recent)

bsd
Apr 11
(3 recent)

developers
Apr 11
(6 recent)

features
Apr 8

interviews
Mar 31

radio
Jun 29

science
Apr 11
(9 recent)

yro
Apr 10
(9 recent)

AIM Meets Social Network Theory
America Online
Posted by timothy on Monday April 14, @03:41AM
from the diagram-fever dept.
dan moore writes "A student at Caltech has created a website (BuddyZoo.com) that tracks cliques within groups of peoples' buddylists. It also measures buddy popularity and allows you to do a six-degrees type search for other screen names. An interesting approach to social network theory."

Slashdot Login
Nickname:

Password:

[ Create a new account ]

Related Links
· BuddyZoo.com
· More on America Online
· Also by timothy

RIAA, This Is Earth, Please Come In! | Lycoris Build 71 Beckons For Your Desktop  >
AIM Meets Social Network Theory | Log in/Create an Account | Top | 196 comments | Search Discussion
Threshold:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
(1) | 2 (Slashdot Overload: CommentLimit 50)
Interesting (Score:3, Insightful)
by Cyclometh (629276) on Monday April 14, @03:42AM (#5726230)
(Last Journal: Sunday December 01, @06:24PM)
Too bad it's only for AIM; it would be interesting to apply similar principles to blogs.
    Re:Interesting (Score:5, Interesting)
    by Lachrymite (115440) on Monday April 14, @03:58AM (#5726294)
    (http://lachrymite.livejournal.com/)
    There are several websites out there that track LiveJournal friends lists and allow you to see how many steps away you are from people, who is in your immediate circle, and other features. They're also a lot more complete, since I believe they gain the friends data by scraping the user info pages of people, instead of each person having to sign up and upload a list of all their friends.

    Also, LiveJournal has a few features built directly into the site that do somewhat similar things. You can get a list of friends who are popular with your own friends, and a listing of all the most recent posts of your friends' friends.
  • Re:Interesting by k-0s (Score:1) Monday April 14, @04:29AM
  • Re:Interesting by arvindn (Score:3) Monday April 14, @05:38AM
  • Re:Interesting by roell (Score:2) Monday April 14, @07:16AM
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.
err (Score:2, Interesting)
by Brandeissansoo (553129) <tcraig.brandeis@edu> on Monday April 14, @03:42AM (#5726232)
How does he have everyone's buddy list in the first place?
  • Re:err by boris_the_hacker (Score:3) Monday April 14, @03:49AM
    • Re:err by carpe_noctem (Score:2) Monday April 14, @04:00AM
Useful? (Score:2, Funny)
by Connectmc (650663) on Monday April 14, @03:43AM (#5726237)
So if you use this, you'll know the sub-groups in your friends' list? You mean...otherwise you wouldnt have?
Little short on data... (Score:1)
by kmac06 (608921) <kevin&mccusker,com> on Monday April 14, @03:47AM (#5726254)
I don't see how this can be as effective as, say, a service that shows you graphicly the connection one website has with another (there is something like thi out there, forget the URL of it).

In order for you to show up on this thing, you or someone that has you on their buddy list needs to upload it. Not nearly as effective as being able to just search the web...
Conspiracy theory ... (Score:3, Funny)
by Zemran (3101) on Monday April 14, @03:47AM (#5726255)
Is this a plot by AOL to get people to use their service rather than another? I do have an AIM screenname from 6 years ago but I cannot be bothered to load AIM up to find out if it is still working just to try this out and see what it does...
great... (Score:5, Funny)
by tankdilla (652987) on Monday April 14, @03:49AM (#5726259)
now you can find out with all certainty if you are the lamest and most unpopular person on the Internet.
  • Re:great... by gad_zuki! (Score:3) Monday April 14, @04:15AM
    • Re:great... by Uart (Score:2) Monday April 14, @07:08AM
  • Re:great... by Lachrymite (Score:2) Monday April 14, @04:48AM
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • Re:great... by carpe_noctem (Score:1) Monday April 14, @05:48AM
  • Re:great... by brad-x (Score:2) Monday April 14, @11:21AM
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
Buddy collecting (Score:5, Insightful)
by Negatyfus (602326) on Monday April 14, @03:50AM (#5726260)
Sheez, some people collect IM buddies as a sport. You'd think someone has no real friends in life with 373 buddies in his contact list.
  • Re:Buddy collecting by cybermint (Score:2) Monday April 14, @03:53AM
  • Re:Buddy collecting by Student_Tech (Score:1) Monday April 14, @04:04AM
  • Buddies (Score:4, Insightful)
    by nigel.selke (665251) on Monday April 14, @04:14AM (#5726350)
    (http://www.rogue.co.za/)

    I don't actually get it. I think instant messaging is great, but only for business purposes (communicating with other branches, overseas contacts, etc).

    To me, a buddies are people that you go to pubs with, go to cricket matches with, etc. I'll never be online after work hours or on the weekends, those time should be reserved for outdoor pursuits or social pursuits. There's nothing like doing 4x4 trails on the weekend, especially in Southern Africa. Or going horse-riding, playing golf, etc. Come on, guys.

    I don't know. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't think sitting on PCs for hours a day chatting with MSN/AIM/Yahoo buddies is healthy. The USA is an amazing country with plenty of things to do. Go and check them out. That goes for people in other countries as well - there's more for you to do than just sit on your PC. There's a wealth of recreational activities in any given country that's waiting to be explored. Heck, one of the programmers at work used to be like that, sitting on his PC for hours a day playing games or chatting. We've converted him to an outdoor man by going camping, sky-diving and horse-riding. Now he seems a lot more relaxed and has a wider social circle of people - In real life!

      Re:Buddies (Score:5, Insightful)
      by Negatyfus (602326) on Monday April 14, @04:28AM (#5726385)
      It's still nice to be able to keep contact with someone you'd normally not be able to communicate with without working up an amazing phonebill. You know, like someone living on another continent. That doesn't mean you have to chat whole days (and nights) with them, though. Besides that, you can easily multi-task between instant messaging and some other, more useful computer task. Furthermore, a group chat can be useful for quickly discussing some matter, such as which pub you and your friends will be going to tonight. Finally, instant messaging can lower the threshold for some people in some situations that are too shy in real life (not that this isn't a problem that should be addressed in real life).

      There are some good uses to instant messaging. However, you can certainly get by without it. I truly hate the way instant messaging and technologies such as SMS seems to affect today's youth with the Trash-talk virus: thye wil b typin liek this til u lose ur mind and don't even see a problem with it.
        Re:Buddies (Score:4, Insightful)
        by nigel.selke (665251) on Monday April 14, @04:42AM (#5726415)
        (http://www.rogue.co.za/)

        It's still nice to be able to keep contact with someone you'd normally not be able to communicate with without working up an amazing phonebill.

        Granted, but I find email a better medium for this. I don't deny that if someone feels more comfortable with IM'ing their relatives or friends overseas, that it would be a very handy tool for that kind of communication, though.

        That doesn't mean you have to chat whole days (and nights) with them, though. Besides that, you can easily multi-task between instant messaging and some other, more useful computer task. Furthermore, a group chat can be useful for quickly discussing some matter, such as which pub you and your friends will be going to tonight. Finally, instant messaging can lower the threshold for some people in some situations that are too shy in real life (not that this isn't a problem that should be addressed in real life).

        Excellent points, and none that I can argue against outright. I just associate IM'ing with business contacts in other branches and contacts overseas, and I don't feel comfortable using IM for social purposes.

        There are some good uses to instant messaging. However, you can certainly get by without it. I truly hate the way instant messaging and technologies such as SMS seems to affect today's youth with the Trash-talk virus: thye wil b typin liek this til u lose ur mind and don't even see a problem with it.

        Ugh. This is so true that it's actually scary. "R U going 2 " is considered formal speech by a lot of youth in South Africa, some that aren't strictly stupid, but have just been caught up in using SMS'ing for communication as a craze, and I agree fully that this could be dangerous, in that it might desensitise some of these people to using language like that in other situations.

        All in all, excellent post. It should be moderated up.

          Re:Buddies (Score:5, Interesting)
          by Negatyfus (602326) on Monday April 14, @05:07AM (#5726475)
          Granted, but I find email a better medium for this.
          Email is an entirely different form of communication, better suited for larger amounts of text that don't immediately need a response. The nice thing about instant messaging is that you can almost interpret the other person's reactions and get an impression of what the other is thinking. I'll give you that email communication is usually deeper and on a higher intellectual plane (or at least has the potential to), but for some good mindless chatter, instant messaging would be the better tool, in my opinion.
          I don't feel comfortable using IM for social purposes.
          Surely, I had to get used to the idea, too. It just didn't feel right. But at one point, I think I kind of got sucked in. I still hate to think that I participate in the hype, though. It can be fun and useful and that's why I use it.
          "R U going 2 " is considered formal speech by a lot of youth in South Africa
          Do you know that over here in The Netherlands, we have a KitKat ad poster that takes advantage of this craze by displaying its message in this way? It goes to show the popularity of it all and it sort of annoys me. I don't know. I appreciate full, grammatically correct and intelligent sentences. It seems that many people today don't really care about that stuff anymore.
          All in all, excellent post. It should be moderated up.
          *grins* Just when I finally get some modpoints, the "you can't participate and moderate in the same discussion" thing bites me in the nose. :)
        • Infidel. by JKConsult (Score:2) Monday April 14, @11:35AM
      • Re:Buddies by BrokenHalo (Score:3) Monday April 14, @06:03AM
        • Re:Buddies by Negatyfus (Score:2) Monday April 14, @06:55AM
          • Re:Buddies by BrokenHalo (Score:2) Monday April 14, @09:08AM
            • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
          • Re:Buddies by gid (Score:2) Monday April 14, @01:12PM
            • Re:Buddies by Negatyfus (Score:2) Monday April 14, @01:56PM
              • Re:Buddies by inkedmn (Score:1) Monday April 14, @02:26PM
              • Re:Buddies by gid (Score:1) Monday April 14, @02:27PM
            • Re:Buddies by lysander (Score:1) Monday April 14, @05:01PM
        • Trash typing is a KID thing in every era by Reziac (Score:3) Monday April 14, @11:41AM
        • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
      • Re:Buddies by The Cydonian (Score:2) Monday April 14, @06:15AM
      • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.
    • Re:Buddy collecting by Troed (Score:1) Monday April 14, @04:22AM
    • Re:Buddy collecting by Gsus411 (Score:2) Monday April 14, @05:22AM
    • Re:Buddy collecting by Phroggy (Score:2) Monday April 14, @06:59AM
    • Re:Buddy collecting by dreadlock9 (Score:2) Monday April 14, @07:12AM
    • Re:Buddy collecting by Rosonowski (Score:2) Monday April 14, @06:02PM
    Your popularity (Score:2, Funny)
    by cybermint (255744) on Monday April 14, @03:50AM (#5726263)
    "Your popularity score: 0."
    Yet somehow the IM spammers find me...
    opt in? (Score:3, Interesting)
    by s2kdave (653155) on Monday April 14, @03:52AM (#5726266)
    I'm just speculating, but it seems to me that he is building up his database when you log in and IM him. He doesn't have a complete list (since it said 6xxx names) although it's probably growing more and more. Looks almost like an opt in strategy, but for what? I didn't log in myself so I don't know.
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    Hmm.. 8,324 screennames on the site... (Score:2, Funny)
    by Anonymous Coward on Monday April 14, @03:54AM (#5726279)
    ...and they've all been just linked by slashdot.

    Does anyone else get the feeling these 8000 people who gave their screenames to the site are about to get a lot of very exciting offers for penis enlargement and Hot17F Hi! My name is cindy :) Come and look at my webcam.. I like to have fun.. Just for you.. http://blog.example.com/ba342434/tubgirlcam/ [127.0.0.1]
    whoa (Score:3, Interesting)
    by s2kdave (653155) on Monday April 14, @03:55AM (#5726282)
    hol [log in to unmask] you can see the ./ effect just by hitting the refresh button and watch the number of screen names grow. So how many of those users will now start to receive spam IMs? :-)
    • Re:whoa by pixitha (Score:1) Monday April 14, @03:59AM
    • Re:whoa by packeteer (Score:2) Monday April 14, @05:01AM
      • Re:whoa by AssFace (Score:1) Monday April 14, @07:03AM
    An interesting approach... (Score:1, Funny)
    by SlimFastForYou (578183) on Monday April 14, @03:59AM (#5726301)
    An interesting approach to the task at hand: to waste as much time as humanly possible coding a spider that relies on AOL software and... yeah

    What's that I hear? "I'll bet you wish you thought of it first"??? *sobs* well... yeah.
    Gorgeous but Unscientific and Ill-documented (Score:4, Informative)
    by billstewart (78916) on Monday April 14, @04:02AM (#5726308)
    (http://idiom.com/~wcs | Last Journal: Thursday December 12, @10:03PM)
    First of all, it's an absolutely gorgeous graphical website. But there's no documentation on
    • what it's really doing,
    • or how it really works,
    • or what it can tell you other than letting you browse through the pretty pictures, like get a summary of clique statistics, or looking up specific names
    • or whether the user interface will scale if a few hundred thousand people check in to it.
    Also, if it's depending on people to enter their own data, rather than having some efficient way to siphon up all the data directly (which would be a major security/privacy risk of its own if it were possible), then it's really not scientific, and the statistics won't be meaningful, just anecdotal. And if it does get a countable fraction of AOL users, it'll get AOLdotted pretty quickly.
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    I learned one thing from the visualsations... (Score:2)
    by WegianWarrior (649800) on Monday April 14, @04:03AM (#5726313)
    (http://won-tolla.future.easyspace.com/)

    ...some people have the weirdest screen-names. Still, I guess I could have learned that from reading slashdot, joining YaHoo!Groups or logged onto the IRC-network.

    While I realise that having a few thousand "Bob"'s on the same network - at least as long as the nick is the only unike identifier - why do people insist on picking names that are plain weird? Some may not see this as a problem, but as a user on AIM, I'm reluctant to accept IM's from people with such handles.

    Bah.. I'm ranting.

    I made the site (Score:5, Informative)
    by SkyIce (184974) on Monday April 14, @04:07AM (#5726323)
    A couple of things

    I don't have the data already. Users contribute their lists to the site by uploading them.

    I'm not going to spam people. I promise.

    This load makes me glad I put the time into setting up mod_perl

    proof that I made the site:
    http://www.buddyzoo.com/images/slashdot.html
    wow (Score:4, Funny)
    by teamhasnoi (554944) <[log in to unmask]> on Monday April 14, @04:08AM (#5726325)
    (Last Journal: Friday October 25, @06:20PM)
    I caught this article when it was posted - 6000 some names were in the list.

    It's up to 15000+ and growing.

    You dirty lying /.ers - YOU ALL ARE RUNNING AOL!

    I have to wash my hands. I might get AOL, or Windows disease from you...

      Re:wow (Score:4, Informative)
      by dorward (129628) <[log in to unmask]> on Monday April 14, @05:02AM (#5726458)
      (http://david.us-lot.org/ | Last Journal: Monday October 01, @07:54AM)

      Oi! I'm running Gaim!

      (Instructions are provided for converting gaim buddy lists to the format needed by the system, but it took me a couple of minutes to figure out the syntax, so here it is):

      perl gaim2blt.pl -s YourScreenName ~/.gaim/YourScreenName.0.blist > gaim.buddy
    • Re:wow by KikassAssassin (Score:1) Monday April 14, @05:24AM
    • Re:wow by Phroggy (Score:3) Monday April 14, @07:07AM
      • Re:wow by Reziac (Score:2) Monday April 14, @11:54AM
      • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    • Re:wow by 42forty-two42 (Score:1) Monday April 14, @12:47PM
    • Re:wow by Boogaroo (Score:1) Monday April 14, @01:14PM
    :-/ Not interesting... yet... (Score:2)
    by rainmanjag (455094) <joshg@myr e a l b o x .com> on Monday April 14, @04:08AM (#5726327)
    This might be interesting once more people sign up. But there's millions of AIM users and only about 10,000 have registered with the site.

    -jag
    Networking for a job (Score:2, Funny)
    by snilloc (470200) <jlcollins AT hotmail DOT com> on Monday April 14, @04:08AM (#5726330)
    (http://pragmatica.blogdot.org/)
    If somebody can convince me that this will contribute to me getting a job, I'm all over this.

    (The sick thing is that I'm only half-kidding.)

    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    /. friends network? (Score:5, Interesting)
    by arvindn (542080) on Monday April 14, @04:09AM (#5726332)
    (http://arvindn.cjb.net/)
    It would be interesting to apply this kind of analysis to friend/foe relationships on /.

    Feeling up to it, cmdrtaco?

    Maybe someone who's not an editor can do it too, if they can spider all the user pages. But I suspect it would take forever to do it without getting your IP banned.

    I once came across a list of all /. users up to 5 levels in the friends chain from Cmdrtaco (i.e, friends of cmdrtaco, friends of friends, ...). I tried googling it now but can't seem to find it :(

    The less popular the better (Score:5, Interesting)
    by hhknighter (629353) on Monday April 14, @04:10AM (#5726338)
    Much like my email address, the less people know about it, the better.

    The less people I know on AIM will effectively minimize my chances of existing on that site.

    Unpopularity pays off here.

    This can help out AIM in an undirect way. AIM spammers spam the living hell out of all members on that site. Users cannot set higher privacy settings (in chance of losing chances meeting new people and such), they can't have effective spam filters like spam killer for email. The spam is even more direct, it's not sitting in your mailbox, it's DIRECTLY on your desktop. Users find new IM screen names. AOL claims their AIM program is more popular due to the new 10 million users, who basically might be the same 10 million highschool/college kiddies.

    The results seem bizarre. (Score:2, Interesting)
    by Peter Cooper (660482) on Monday April 14, @04:16AM (#5726356)
    (Last Journal: Saturday March 22, @01:21AM)
    If you look at this visualization [buddyzoo.com] of the results, this all starts to look a bit bizarre. Almost every single screen-name in that graph is nonsensical gobble-di-gook. I know for a fact that AIM screennames aren't all like that.
    My friends are constantly on AIM... (Score:2, Interesting)
    by Thaidog (235587) <[log in to unmask]> on Monday April 14, @04:17AM (#5726359)
    (http://www.tyler.mcadams.com/)
    ...and I'm not... I can't stand trying to get any amount of work done on my computer with people constantly "blinging" me... you're online... great, peace see you tonight after work.. whatever. Most of my friends don't have an admin job so they don't know why it's a pain... and I don't feel like explaining it to them either, so I simply don't sign on... AIM is my primary, however, with msn being the secondary... which I can't stand... In fact messenger sucked so bad on XP I'm back to 2000 (just one reason, however) Give me a choice to sign damnit, Bill, before I get blinged to death by my porno watching jobless buddy who have no real work to do on a computer! "hey check out this url!" Ok maybe I'm a little over the top... We use sametime at work... which will link to AIM which is nice... but I still think e-mail is the best way to get in touch with someone... it's more formal... AIM I use only if I've got to get in touch with somebody quickly for something important... that's it...
    Six degrees of separation (Score:5, Informative)
    by arvindn (542080) on Monday April 14, @04:23AM (#5726369)
    (http://arvindn.cjb.net/)
    A famous experiment conducted 35 years ago contended that anyone can reach anyone else in the world through a chain of friends of length 6. Some people [columbia.edu] are trying to find out if this is really the case.

    BTW, I wonder how online relationships will compare with real world relationships? One tends to have more acquaintances in meatspace, but our online friends are more diverse.

    Can we do the same with (Score:2, Interesting)
    by jsse (254124) on Monday April 14, @04:26AM (#5726378)
    (http://slashdot.org/ | Last Journal: Thursday October 10, @05:09AM)
    friend/foe system of /.? I've seen a lot of friends, fans, friend's friend, friend's foe down there...may be I'd actually like more details such as '(Degree of speration: 4)', so that I could flame with confidence to those whom has wide speration with me...

    May be not, nevermind. :)
    Getting the buddy list data (Score:2)
    by markov_chain (202465) on Monday April 14, @04:26AM (#5726379)
    This is a pretty natural thing to do with any kind of graph (PGP key servers, blogs, p2p network topologies, you name it). And the larger graph one can get, the more interesting it gets. I drool when I think about the kind of analyses the people at AOL must do with their buddy list database...

    six degrees (Score:1, Funny)
    by sdibb (630075) on Monday April 14, @04:35AM (#5726401)
    (Last Journal: Sunday April 06, @10:19PM)
    ...six-degrees type search for other screen names

    At first I thought it was talking about the hassle you have to go through to actually find an AOL screenname that's not taken.

    I found a work around for that though -- just IM me at Steve89345199234761233290324692183646489

    Privacy law #15 according to /.ers (Score:2, Funny)
    by gregoryl (187330) on Monday April 14, @04:43AM (#5726416)
    All databases of user information gathered by logging user mouse clicks whilst on-line are evil ... except for the purpose of tracking 'six degrees of seperation'.
    It's easier in the real world! (Score:1)
    by rMortyH (40227) on Monday April 14, @04:43AM (#5726417)
    Now that the phone companies are excercising their freedom of speech, and selling everyone's call data, the buyers of the data can do this in the real world, with people's real friends, and it's likely to be easier than doing it with buddy lists.

    Big Brother is watching.. (Score:5, Interesting)
    by Kolenkow (557147) on Monday April 14, @04:50AM (#5726428)
    Technical:
    It is a bit interesting, actually. I just wonder when his program will collapse, what the upper limit of number of users are.
    I mean, this is a classical data-mining problem.

    Philosophical / Paranoia:
    When techniques like these functional enough to really work on large amounts of users, it's going to be candy for Big Brother.
    They can just look at the graph over the people doing unwanted stuff and remove the spiders of those webs (the leaders of those underground networks). I think this is a great example of how important it is for us to develop freenet techniques.

    Would AOL knock on your door too? (Score:5, Interesting)
    by hhknighter (629353) on Monday April 14, @04:51AM (#5726432)
    I see you had concern with network admins knocking on your door. What about AOL?

    Although I am not 100% on this, but AIM I believe is their trademark, and such they are going to defend it (as long as you are getting more hits than they ever will).

    imaddict.com was an example. Their IM addiction survey and other stuff were REAL popular. I know they got legal letter from AOL regarding the trademark usage, and his attitude at first wasn't exactly yielding. Now I just tried going there again and it's not even on the DNS servers.

    I am no lawyer, and I guess this is slightly off topic. But I am interested in something like this. It is an idea AOL might not have thought off and seems like they might be interested in something like this (given their current status, they probably have to increase AOL CDs so there's a higher chance someone will install their crap by accident).

    Just a thought
    most popular person.... (Score:1)
    by w0ss (530552) <wcarlson@[ ].net ['ici' in gap]> on Monday April 14, @04:55AM (#5726439)
    Isn't even a person...

    smarterchild

    http://www.buddyzoo.com/popularity?target=smarterc hild
    email... (Score:2, Interesting)
    by Kolenkow (557147) on Monday April 14, @04:56AM (#5726442)
    Wasn't there an article here (or was it on www.idg.se (swedish idg site)) about some researchers on ibm or hp that made a similar thing with emails send within a company? The interesting (and yet not surprising) conclusion was that groups that you could extrude from the email data also was the informal groups that existed in the company irl.
    The most usefull outcome of this, would hence be for the company to understand how it actually was organized, and also a tool to determine key persons in those groups.

    Possible misuse? (Score:3, Interesting)
    by Eese (647951) on Monday April 14, @05:08AM (#5726478)
    I don't the idea of my buddy list being closely examined. What if I have John Doe on my list, who has Omar Gill on his list, who has Osama on his list, the man would say that I've been associating with terrorists.
    AsianPrince213 (Score:1)
    by SimStupid (613080) on Monday April 14, @06:10AM (#5726590)
    I can't believe that no one who's registered has the asian prince on their buddy list. I thought millions of people would have him on their buddy list after he put his screenname on his website (http://asianprince213.tripod.com/). Although he hasn't been on line in a while. Presumably he was a little too popular.
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    Similar to Social-Networking Bokmarks (Score:2, Interesting)
    by leoaugust (665240) <slashdot@@@bubbleui...com> on Monday April 14, @06:37AM (#5726656)
    (http://www.bubbleui.com/blog)

    Even with the privacy issues being resolved, and preventing the list from falling in the hands of spammers, there is a deeper problem of whether people on the ground will embrace it.

    I remember similar experiments with networking "BOOKMARKS" or "Favorites" and they never could get big enough for the "critical mass." I am not sure why, but purely using that as an apporpriate analogy, I think this concept needs to be refined further before it can become big. Maybe people hesitate giving data from which things that they never imagined they were disclosing can be inferred or data-mined.

    I believe that such experiments are good, but in today's world, where everything that you publish or email can be used against you, it is better for these experiments to remain pilot plants, and limited to small experimental groups. That is till Mr. Ashcroft Patriot Acts I and II and soon III are accepted as valid curbs on liberty.

    But, either way, it is a good concept.

    What a bitch. (Score:3, Interesting)
    by Vector7 (2410) on Monday April 14, @06:43AM (#5726662)
    (Last Journal: Sunday February 02, @06:23AM)

    Just by sumitting my buddy list, I've automatically made all my buddies immensely more popular than myself, as they all appear on one buddy list (mine), whereas none of them have uploaded their lists, so I appear on no buddy lists. Funny how that works out.
    ironic (Score:5, Insightful)
    by scubacuda (411898) <scubacuda&iname,com> on Monday April 14, @06:44AM (#5726664)
    (http://www.kernel32.org/)
    I find it ironic that some of the same people who'd normally have a shit fit over their personal information being centralized (TIA, etc.) actually *volunteer* to disclose their buddy lists (not to mention make it *accessible* to the general public)...

    • Re:ironic by HopeOS (Score:3) Monday April 14, @11:10AM
      • Re:ironic by Tazzy531 (Score:2) Monday April 14, @01:56PM
    does it belch on Trillian? (Score:1)
    by AssFace (118098) <{ude.smailliw.osw} {ta} {htimse}> on Monday April 14, @06:59AM (#5726695)
    (http://www.myclownpenis.com/ | Last Journal: Monday April 14, @04:43PM)
    I use Trillian and I'm curious if the export and save up to his site process will cause unhappiness on the part of his system.

    I have my most recent buddylist at work so I will try it there - I have never bothered to look at how it exports, but obviously it has a way to differentiate the sub components of the list (yahoo or AIM, etc), but does this site take advantage of that?
    If not, then I guess I can't use it.
    icq? (Score:1)
    by will_urbanski (634501) on Monday April 14, @07:03AM (#5726706)
    why not implement a version for ICQ
    aim:// ? (Score:2)
    by dotgod (567913) <alexwade82 AT yahoo DOT com> on Monday April 14, @07:25AM (#5726753)
    Registering for this requires you to click on an "aim://blah blah" link. I know I can just use the info in the link to send the right IM to their bot, but this brings a question to mind. How does one set up KDE or GNOME to handle those "aim://" links?
    • Re:aim:// ? by dotgod (Score:2) Monday April 14, @09:00AM
      • Re:aim:// ? by moyix (Score:2) Monday April 14, @03:10PM
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    Just what we need (Score:1)
    by AyeRoxor! (471669) on Monday April 14, @08:40AM (#5727029)
    (http://www.kurtspace.com/ | Last Journal: Saturday December 28, @08:56PM)
    A quick way for spambots to harvest names...

    Keep my SN out of it thanks
    seems to finally be dying now (Score:1)
    by AssFace (118098) <{ude.smailliw.osw} {ta} {htimse}> on Monday April 14, @09:18AM (#5727232)
    (http://www.myclownpenis.com/ | Last Journal: Monday April 14, @04:43PM)
    It seems now the east coast is awake and now hitting this thing hard.

    as of about 7am there were around 64K users registered on there and the site was snappy. there were posts on here from last night indicating 8K users.
    Now at 9:15am it seems that there are over 80K users registered and the site is crawling.

    I am not sure if it is the mySQL database that is dying on it, or if it is just the load on the 1Ghz processor.

    either way, I would say it will die within the next 15 mins now.
    Three Degrees (Score:1)
    by figgypudding (665050) on Monday April 14, @09:21AM (#5727250)
    Actually... according to Microsoft's new, in development p2p IM thing... there are only 3 Degrees [threedegrees.com] of separation , not 6.

    But of course, are they really degrees of separation? Wouldn't six degrees of connection or something make more sense?
    hm (Score:1, Redundant)
    by machine of god (569301) on Monday April 14, @09:33AM (#5727323)
    I keep getting server errors. It probably doesn't help that I keep hitting stop, refresh huh. Oh well. Back to that.
    Aimbase is similar (Score:2, Informative)
    by flicken (182650) <[log in to unmask]> on Monday April 14, @10:06AM (#5727544)
    (http://www.wpi.edu/~flicken/)
    Check out Aimbase [aimbase.net]. Two students at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute have a website with a similar goal. They don't have as many screennames, but they a much cooler visualization tool (you can zoom dynamically around the graph).
    Beat to the punch! (Score:1)
    by DaPhoenix (318174) <rayb.kod@net> on Monday April 14, @10:12AM (#5727600)
    What the heck! I swear. My roomate came up with that idea last year and was going to try to implement it. Oh well. Caltech got it too and finished it first. I cant wait to play!
    SixDegrees.com? Kevin Bacon Game? (Score:2, Informative)
    by Enkerli (554033) on Monday April 14, @10:24AM (#5727710)
    (http://slashdot.org/)
    Anybody else to remember SixDegrees? You stated your links (and they could be specified as "friend," "co-worker," "acquaintance"...) and you were connected with them when they acknowledged you. Extremely interesting sociologically. But it went down for (apparently) economical reasons.
    And for those who are genuinely interested in Internet applications of network analysis, you might want to try the Oracle of Bacon [oracleofbacon.org]. It's an online version of the "Kevin Bacon Game" (who starred with whom) using data from IMDB.
    Grade-AIM was first (Score:1, Informative)
    by Anonymous Coward on Monday April 14, @10:50AM (#5727946)
    Isaac Oates's Grade-AIM project at NCSA/UIUC did a similar thing more than a year ago. Unfortunately, I can't find much remaining record of it other than this DI article [dailyillini.com]. You can take a halfway peek at the graphs from his monitor in the picture.
    Thoughts on it (Score:3, Interesting)
    by limekiller4 (451497) on Monday April 14, @11:34AM (#5728312)
    (http://www.fivefoot6.com/)
    I considered doing this about a half-year back but abandoned it, not because it would be hard to do but because I couldn't think of an easy way for a person to share their buddy list. It would require setting up an account and possibly finding a text file and dropping it into a textarea field (or perhaps uploading a file), something I didn't think I could accomplish without skewing the data toward the geekier crowd.

    It also occurred to me that there are probably a lot of people who don't want their whole buddy list to necessarily be known, so I'd have to create some barrier to prevent directly seeing other people's buddy list.

    Further, buddy lists are always in flux. The data would become dated fairly rapidly and just straight-out incorrect not too long after.

    Finally, I realized that this idea was something that would be trivial for AOL to do. They have the data and they have it in real time. All someone would have to do is check off a "yes, you can use my buddy list for data collection" or something (though I'd imagine their EULA would probably already give them that right if the simply wanted to do it sans specific permission). It could be spun in a number of different ways to entice people to do so.

    Just some thoughts.
    dear jillgirl1 (Score:1, Funny)
    by Letter (634816) on Monday April 14, @11:40AM (#5728372)
    how are you doing? remember me? i just wanted to let you know that i've had you on my buddy list for 5 years now, since we met that one summer at school. i check your away message every day; i know a lot about you! steve sounds like a great guy, i hope you two are happy. also, sorry you had to write that long paper last week, i hope that you got it finished. i saw you were up late, i was checking your idle time! love the web page, jill, those are some nice pictures of your spring break trip. you are so hot in the red bikini. see you around, and IM me sometime! my name is MadWriter33.

    cu,
    janice
  • 11 replies beneath your current threshold.
  • (1) | 2 (Slashdot Overload: CommentLimit 50)

      Round Numbers are always false. -- Samuel Johnson
    All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the Poster. The Rest 1997-2003 OSDN.
    [ home | awards | contribute story | older articles | OSDN | advertise | self serve ad system | about | terms of service | privacy | faq ]