The Summer 2003 StudentAffairs.com online workshops
for student affairs administrators are now set
(http://www.studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/).

For specific information about taking in an online
course, peruse our new Frequently Asked Questions
(http://studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/faq.html)
section.

The four courses being offered this spring are:

TEACHING A DISTANCE LEARNING COURSE
This three week INTENSIVE short course covers basic
teaching and learning issues associated with teaching
in a web-based environment. Divided into three, one
week segments, the course covers effective student and
faculty communication in a distance course, the
instructional design of a course, and multiple content
delivery methods. Designed for faculty, teaching
assistants, and student affairs staff who teach, this
course examines distance learning for both strict
academic courses as well as co-curricular learning
environments such as "freshman 101" seminars and
student leadership courses.
(http://studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/summer2003course1.html)

THEORIES OF COLLEGE STUDENT DEVELOPMENT
This three week course will serve as an introduction
(or refresher) to some of the foundational theories
that guide our understanding of a college student's
psychosocial and cognitive development. As colleges
and universities reframe their missions to become more
"learning centered" organizations and accountability
issues rise to the forefront, it becomes necessary as
student affairs professionals to reinforce our
commitment to students and their development as "whole
persons." Through readings and threaded discussions
participants will gain an understanding of how these
theories have impacted the student affairs profession
and more importantly how these theories can be put
into practice in our everyday lives as we strive to
facilitate the growth and development of college
students.
(http://studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/summer2003course2.html)

STUDENT SUICIDE: LAW AND POLICY ISSUES
This course examines the law and policy issues related
to student suicide, the third leading cause of death
for young people in the United States and the second
for college students. Special attention will be paid
to literature on the causes and prevention of suicide;
a detailed case study of a student suicide; analysis
of a recent, highly publicized student suicide at
M.I.T.; legal developments concerning potential
liability for failing to prevent suicide; the scope
and limits of confidentiality (including parental
notification); and suicidal students and the ADA.
(http://studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/summer2003course3.html)

COLLEGE STUDENTS WITH ASPERGER'S SYNDROME
Aspergers Syndrome is an Autism Spectrum Disorder with
growing numbers of students on college campuses. This
population presents unique challenges to student
affairs professionals. This online workshop will
explore Aspergers Syndrome in-depth - specifically 1)
define Aspergers Syndrome, 2) look at the increase in
incidence, 3) examine how students are affected on
campus and in class and 4) discuss accommodations
issues.
(http://studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/summer2003course4.html)

The StudentAffairs.com online course experience will
afford participants, from all parts of the country, at
all size institutions, and at all functional levels,
an energizing and innovative experience.  To learn
more about this exciting professional development
opportunity, and how to register online, go to:
 http://www.studentaffairs.com/onlinecourses/

Stuart Brown, President
StudentAffairs.com