Hi Mary,

Here's what we use at VMI.  Tutors sign it at the end of the 1st training
session.  I think I adapted it from one of the  myriad tutoring handbooks
that have crossed my path over the years - wish I could remember what source
I should credit.

In case anyone's interested, I've also added to this message some statements
we include with on our tutoring schedule - both tutors and professors
appreciate having them in print....

Hope this is helpful!

        TUTOR GOALS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

1.      Goals
a.      improve student's academic performance
b.      build student's self-confidence and motivation
c.      stimulate active learning
d.      foster student independence

2.      Responsibilities
a.      be present and punctual for tutoring sessions
b.      attend business and training meetings
c.      complete reports of tutoring sessions
d.      submit time sheets on a timely basis
e.      establish and maintain contact with instructors
(compile file of syllabi, handouts, tests, etc.)
f.      assess areas for development
g.      assist students in developing strategies for learning course content
h.      develop strong communication skills (listening and questioning)
i.      demonstrate patience, encouragement, and competence

I understand and accept these conditions of employment as a tutor.

Name:______________________________________
Date:_________________

Subject:___________________________________

Statement at the end of published tutoring schedule:

Tutoring offers:                        -clarification of material
                                        -assistance with study skills, both
general and specific to the course
                                        -reassurance when material seems
overwhelming
                                        -test preparation and test-taking
tips
Tutoring does not
offer:                          -a quick fix the night before a test or quiz
                                        -an "answer man"
                                        -a substitute for paying  attention
during class
                                        -a substitute for meeting with the