One thing I've done is arrange for the tutors to be invited to a beginning of the year advisors' meeting (our campus had those).  This was just for a few minutes.  We said what the tutors do (i.e. don't re-teach the class, do homework, or write papers for students! And then a sentence or two about what tutors do actually do!)We gave the advisors a chance to ask questions and that was it.
-------Original Message-------
From: tamara rury <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 05/08/03 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Introducing Tutors?

> Hello all,

We were brainstorming ways to increase the awareness of our tutoring
services for the fall and encourage faculty to refer students to us.
One of the ideas I had was to send an email out to the faculty/staff and
introduce the tutors for the year.  We came up with both positive and
possibly negative reactions to this on campus.  Hence, I am looking for
other people's input.  Has anyone done/tried anything similar to this in
the past?  If so, what was the reaction?

If you would like to respond privately my email is [log in to unmask]

Thanks for your help!

Tamara Rury
Director, Academic Development
St. Thomas Aquinas College
845-398-4093

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

To access LRNASST-L archives,point your web browser to <a target=_blank
href="http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html">http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html</a>

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L