On our campus the professional tutors are called lab assistants or
paraprofessionals and have at least one degree.  They are classified as
College Lab Assistants by the State of MN.

We have two Math Lab Assistants who have degrees:  one is a retired
engineer and the other has an IT degree.  (One former lab assistant had
a doctorate degree but was looking for part time employment because she
had small children.)

Our Writing Center Lab Assistants both have masters degrees and also
teach English classes.

We also have lab assistants who work in the chemistry and biology labs.

I have peer tutors who also work in the Writing and Math Centers.  They
work under the tutelage of the professional lab assistants.

LouAnn Oppitz
Peer Tutoring Coordinator
Inver Hills Community College
2500 80th Street E.