SOCNET,

I am a graduate student who is applying for a fellowship with the Department of Homeland Security.  I hope to use network analysis to analyze terrorist groups.  Some of my possible questions have to do with recruitment methods, network evolution, the rise and fall of terrorist groups, and how the removal of certain nodes affects network structure.  My key concern is the issue of data.  I know this list had a large discussion around terrorist groups early in the year (and the year before).  How have researchers solved the issue of data?  What questions have researchers looked at?  I would appreciate any help with locating literature that has attempted to answer these type of questions (especially looking at terrorist networks).  I am attempting to create a manageable project that looks feasible to fellowship reviewers.  Any help on creating such a question/project would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Steve Ressler, Department of Sociology, University of Pennsylvania