What is "significant" to a relationship really depends on the basis of the
relationship -- for example a working relationship depends on maintaining
a lot of work-like relations: planning work, communicating about work,
going to meetings together, etc. On the other hand, a friend relationship
depends on quite different relations -- e.g., planning parties, going to
social gatherings together, exchanging confidences. Time, intensity,
multidimensionality can all take on different meanings according to the
type of tie.
        There is a lot of work out there on attributes of relationships
(start with Marsden & Campbell, 1984. Measuring tie strength. Social
Forces, 63, 482-501.) usually clustered under the topic of "tie strength".
But what relations should be measured for that strength is situation
dependent.

        In most of my work I'm exploring what people do together so I can
get to the kinds of exchanges/interactions that matter to their
relationship. There are surprises. In data I am working on now, in looking
at interdisciplinary knowledge exchange, I found that more strategic
information -- e.g., how to get grants, how to deal with granting
agencies, how to manage a group, how to manage discussions -- are
'significant' relations when there is a status differential between the
actors. I was expecting to hear about knowledge exchange, but I hear
instead about career management.
        That work is still in progress, but 2 earlier studies address
multiplexity. In particular, these also address "media multiplexity" --
here and in others studies by Barry Wellman, we find the stronger the
tie, the more media you use to communicate.

        Haythornthwaite, C., & Wellman, B. (1998). Work, friendship, and
media use for information exchange in a networked organization. Journal of
the American Society for Information Science, 49(12), 1101-1114.

        Haythornthwaite, C. (2001). Exploring multiplexity: Social network
structures in a computer-supported distance learning class. The
Information Society, 17(3), 211-226.

        For those interested in the meaning of relations, this paper
combines results from a social network survey with qualitative interviews
from the same population (not nec. the same individuals).

Haythornthwaite, C. (2000). Online personal networks: Size, composition
and media use among distance learners. New Media and Society, 2(2),
195-226.

/Caroline

PS. I'm also interested in hearing of any other work like this,
particularly anything exploring media/Internet use.

Caroline Haythornthwaite ([log in to unmask])    www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn
Associate Professor                                  phone: (217) 244-7453
Graduate School of Library and Information Science     fax: (217) 244-3302
Coordinator, Information Technology Studies Minor
501 East Daniel St., Champaign, IL 61820