From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Johnson, Jeffrey C
Sent:
Monday, June 23, 2003 10:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: evaluating networks qualitatively

I think getting caught up in the quant/qual distinction is not going to resolve any of the problems of interest.  It is really a matter of doing a thorough job initially of a series of qualitative in-depth interviews to identify what is needed and relevant to the problem.  Such qualitative interviews can then lead to valid and relevant systematic network questions that can be reliably compared across all actors (without the inherent problems in open ended qualitative approaches of "just because it wasn't mentioned by an informant in an in-depth interview does not necessarily mean it is not important to them").  We had a problem like this in attempting to study informal social roles in networks (see  J.C. Johnson, J. Boster, and L. Palinkas. "Social Roles and the Evolution of Networks in Isolated and Extreme Environments". The Journal of Mathematical Sociology  Volume 27/Numbers2-3, (2003): pp. 89-122).  The use of in-depth interviews to identify these roles is described in:

 J.C. Johnson and S. Weller. Elicitation Techniques in Interviewing. (2002) In Handbook of  Interview Research (J. Gubrium and J. Holstein, eds.), pp 491-514,  Sage:Newbury Park.