Hi,
Almost every morning between 7:0o & 8:00 I walk a 2 mile
loop around the Indian River Estates Life Care Community.
During this walk I pass 6 Purple Martin Apartment Houses.
They each have 12 apartments and all were occupied this year.
This year the early "scouts" were here during the first week
in February.The PUMAs in 4 of the apartments followed the
"usual" routine- 2 babies per apartment and they were
fledged and gone by the first week in June. However, the
PUMAs in two apartments were late nesters. They did not
leave until last Monday or Tuesday.
Question: It appears that four of the pairs with 2 babies
each were the slow ones. However, It appeared to me
that they entire population of the apartment stayed
around and they all left at the same time.  Are Purple
Martins so colonial that they all stay until the last baby
has fledged and is ready to be on it's own?
Regards;
Bud Kleckner
Vero Beach