On 2 June 03 John Murphy alerted me of a suspected Great White Heron.  I
found the bird wading near shore in Alligator Harbor, but the light was
almost gone, too low for a positive ID.  Wednesday we relocated the bird at
the west end of Alligator Pt., and obtained digital photos.  This seems to
be a first occurrence for Alligator Pt., but not the county (Franklin), as
one showed up near Eastpoint in August of 2000.

Currently this bird is considered a color morph of the Great Blue Heron,
having formerly been called a separate species.  There is considerable
discussion among the taxonomists today as to which placement is
correct.  We may very well see the Great White regain its species stature.

Jack Dozier
Alligator Pt., FL