In a message dated 7/12/03 9:26:14 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< >>By law, YOU can't do anything for the bird<<

I believe this does not apply to exotic species (including Monk Parakeets).

Exotic birds (except for the ridiculous ruling regarding Mute Swans) are not

protected under Federal or State law. >>

I agree completely with the comment above  and hope I have not misled anyone.
  The is, indeed, a ruling about "wild" animals.   C.R.O.W. uses FOS for
deciding just which species are "wild."   It has been my understanding that the
Monk Parakeet qualifies under these guidelines.   Am I wrong?   I am NOT looking
for a discussion of this issue -- just a clarification of the FOS current
wisdom on the status of the species.   Thanx.

Dick Beeler
Fort Myers, FL