Yesterday I saw what I believe to be a rusty blackbird at one of my
feeders. It was very black and glossy with yellow eyes. About the size
of a white winged dove. No colors. I had a good look at it from about 25
feet with my binocs through the window and those yellow eyes really
stood out. It ate a lot of birdseed then flew into the oak tree where I
lost sight of it. It definitely wasn't a red-wing bb or cowbird. I don't
think it was a Brewer's because of the range. It was alone. Maybe an
early migrant? According to Sibley and other books, it is a winter
visitor. Very strange.

Also, last Wednesday I saw a pair of swallow-tailed kites over the
eastern part of Lake Jackson in Sebring, and a pair over the orange
grove east of Olivia Drive in Avon Park. This is the 2nd year I've seen
the pair in Avon Park. They were all 4 very active.

Anne Bellenger
Avon Park FL
Highlands Audubon
TNC Scrub Jay Project