Linda McCandless and I made an early morning visit to Wakodahatchee on Sunday 7/27.  We wanted to see who was around and how the year's babies are coming along.  The babies are doing well.  Purple Gallinules and Moorhens of every age from fluffball to teenager along with parents were all over.  Several Least Bitterns were out and about.  We saw three different ones flying from clump to clump.  We had a flyover flock of 14 Monk Parakeets, squawking as they went.  First migrants of the season for us were three or four Prairie Warblers in the oaks and palms on the south berm of the first pond.  We had a fly-over Solitary Sandpiper, which we verified by its tail pattern, and a first Coot.  One of the Great Blue Heron chicks is still using the nest, other GBHs were distributed throughout the ponds along with all the expected wading birds.   There are very few bullrushes left in the first pond.  It will be interesting to see what grows back over the winter.  Otherwise, the place looks good and continues to deliver.

Good birding,
Linda Most
West Palm Beach