After a week's vacation in Indiana during the week of July 4th I began
teaching 2 weeks of Birding Camps at the Tallahassee Museum.  Last week I
had 4th and 5th graders, this week I'm teaching middle schoolers.  So
far, the camps have been really successful.

Last week, we tallied close to 90 species.  The good thing about that
count is that we only "birded" for an hour and a half, at most, per day.
And all of our birding was late morning.  Here are some of the highlights:

American Robin (Tuesday, July 8) flying over YMCA pool
Red-cockaded Woodpecker (Wednesday, July 9) FR 350 in Apalachicola Nat. Forest
Louisiana Waterthrush (Friday, July 11) SMNWR Visitor's Center, a victim
of a window strike.

Today was our first chance to really get out.  We hit FR350 and 352 in
the National Forest and rode the Wakulla Springs Boat Tour.  Highlights:

Red-cockaded Woodpecker (7!)  My campers got great looks and listens to a
single bird excavating a new hole and a group of 6 foraging.  The
overcast skies and cooler temperatures contributed to the increased
activity.
Red-headed Nuthatch (4+)
Least Bittern (1) Near the turn-around spot on the boat tour
American Coot (2) Ditto

Happy Birding,

Rob Lengacher
Tallahassee, FL