From: Susan Busenbark [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 2:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Recovering tutoring costs

I have been asked by my administration to research ways to recover the
costs of tutoring.  I have searched the archives without much success.
I know that charging students a fee for tutoring services tends to
discourage the students who most often need the service.
What are other schools doing during these difficult economic times?
One of the suggestions given to me by administration is to have students
in high tutoring demand courses sign up for a 1 credit hour tutoring
program at the time of registration or up until about mid term.  Is
anyone else doing something like this?
I need some other perspectives on how this could work.  Financial aid,
tutor qualifications for larger groups, etc.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone would
like to discuss ideas like this in person, let's meet at the Oct. 1-3
NCLCA annual conference to be held in Rolling Meadows, IL.

Susan Busenbark
Rock Valley College
Rockford, IL

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L