Kathleen,

It sounds like you are providing a lot of critical services. Perhaps your
administration should look into some of the nonacademic reasons students
leave college. According to Tinto, both financial aid problems and a sense
of alienation are primary factors, often above and beyond academic issues.

Take a look at his book, Leaving College; Rethinking the Causes and Cures
of Student Attrition, 2nd edition,  by Vincent Tinto.

I hope this is helpful,

Roberta Schotka
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax

                      Kathleen Ward
                      <[log in to unmask]         To:      [log in to unmask]
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by: Open            Subject: Academic Support Services
                      Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals
                      <LRNASST-L@LISTS
                      .UFL.EDU>

                      09/23/2003 10:27
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to Open Forum
                      for Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals

I desperately need some assistance.  Our college administration is
concerned about our low retention of at-risk students and is under the
impression that other institutions are providing services or support
that we are unaware of and need to implement in order to improve
retention numbers.  I am listing the services we provide to our students
and would appreciate hearing from anyone who provides anything different
or additional that seems to make a significant difference in student
success.  Thank you for any information or suggestions as our academic
support services are currently under fire.
Services Currently Provided--Academic Counseling, Supplemental
Instruction, Peer Tutoring, Peer Mentoring, Probation Program, Writing
Lab, Math Lab, Reading Course, Study Skills Course, Organized Study
Groups, Tutors in the Dorms Program, Placement Testing, Tutor Training,
Early-Alert System, Handout Materials.
Perhaps the most glaring omission is a summer bridge program.  If you
provide such a service, a brief description would be helpful.  Thank you
again, Kathleen Ward, Academic Services, Thiel College, [log in to unmask],
724-589-2051

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L