Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman works well with lower level students--the
diversity of the characters gives everyone in the class someone they can
identify with.

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/18/03 07:17AM >>>
What are some other titles currently being used successfully in
lower-level developmental reading classes?

Thanks,
Frances Yoder

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Sweeney [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 4:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Snow Falling on Cedars

Date:    Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:18:19 -0400
From:    Margaret Nikpourfard <[log in to unmask]>

I must use a trade book, Snow Falling on CEdars in my developmental
reading classes.  I am seeking advice from anyone who has used it.
What
strategies, mthods, aids  are viable?  Any help would be greatly
apprecoated.  Thanks.

Margaret,

I have used SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS in developmental reading and we
wrote
letters about it (student to teacher, student to student).  We also
did
research in small groups on camps for American-Japanese during WWII,
Northwest fishing, etc.  There was no movie at the time but since
there
is one now, I would have students do a compare/contrast between the
movie and the book (they are always different).

Hope this is helpful.  My colleague Laura Bauer and I wrote about
Literary Letter Writing in an article published in Bedford St.
Martin's
TEACHING DEVELOPMENTAL READING edited by Norman Stahl and Hunter
Boylan.

Linda Sweeney
Program Director, Graduate Developmental Studies
Chair, Graduate Developmental Studies
National-Louis University

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L