From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 6:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutor training

Kathryn Van Wagoner and LRNASST colleagues,

Your idea about Advice for the New Guys (tutors) is terrific.  We wonder
if a few collagues would be interested in administering the same
exercise with their tutors for the purpose of developing a Tutor
Orientation Guidebook entitled 100 Things Every Tutor Ought to Know
About Tutoring Effectively .

It may prove a wonderful piece of advice new tutors could quickly learn
from in avoiding the common pitfalls in tutoring.  It could also prove
both educationally valuable and humorous.

If you have a database of comments to share or would like to participate
in the development of this project, kindly e-mail me and I will provide
some direction and ongoing communication during the process.

Who knows the end result may help tutors in the future quickly learn
what we all want them to know but seldom want to participate in training
to listen to us tell them.  If they could learn it on their own, that
works.

I look forward to your interest.  If you wish to review other 100 Things
editions for freshman, adults, and our new Online Student edition,
e-mail or view our web site

www.cambridgestratford.com

Tutor trainers will also find information about other tutor training
texts, pre/post assessments, and online tutor training courses at that
site.

Thank you for your creative input in making the training of tutors more
effective.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Collegially,
Peter W. Stevens
President
The Cambridge Stratford Study Skills Institute
8560 Main Street
Williamsville, New York  14221
(800) 466-2232     fax-(716) 626-9076
web page  www.cambridgestratford.com

"Helping Students to Study Smarter, Read Faster, and Score Higher on
Tests"

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L