Date:    Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:18:19 -0400
From:    Margaret Nikpourfard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Snow Falling ON Cedars

I must use a trade book, Snow Falling on CEdars in my developmental reading classes.  I am seeking advice from anyone who has used it. What strategies, mthods, aids  are viable?  Any help would be greatly apprecoated.  Thanks.

Margaret,

I have used SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS in developmental reading and we wrote letters about it (student to teacher, student to student).  We also did research in small groups on camps for American-Japanese during WWII, Northwest fishing, etc.  There was no movie at the time but since there is one now, I would have students do a compare/contrast between the movie and the book (they are always different).

Hope this is helpful.  My colleague Laura Bauer and I wrote about Literary Letter Writing in an article published in Bedford St. Martin's TEACHING DEVELOPMENTAL READING edited by Norman Stahl and Hunter Boylan.

Linda Sweeney
Program Director, Graduate Developmental Studies
Chair, Graduate Developmental Studies
National-Louis University

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L