Roberta Schotka wrote:

> For those of you responsible for training tutors, can you
> tell me if you
> pay them for their training and if so, is it at the same rate
> as their pay
> for tutoring? I realize that many institutions deliver training via a
> course, but I am curious about how those institutions who do
> NOT have a
> tutor training course do things.

I have much of the training online, and I give new tutors three months
to complete it after going through some basics that they need to know
before they start when they report the first day (all written in a
handbook that they receive). I know that they have completed the online
training because they are required to post answers to questions in a
discussion area. They work on this during slow periods in the center.
For the rest of the training we do it during monthly staff meetings.

So, yes, they get paid for their training at the same rate as tutoring.

Arleen Janz
Supervisor
Dale Mabry Tutoring Center
Hillsborough Community College