>and the discussion turned to employment strategy. In these trying
>times, just how far do you go in making demands on a potential employer.
>
>Exercise:
>
>A leading company, possibly a Fortune...., company is interested in hiring
>you. Apart from an exorbitant salary, what is an expected perk and what is a
>possible perk and what do you rate as more important.

I think this is completely dependent upon the position, the employer and
what you specifically expect out of the scenario.

Many people change jobs for reasons other than strictly financial ones,
such as a change of venue, a desire to continue or complete some
educational goal, better benefits, or simply because they want a new and/or
different challenge.

When I was last looking for a change, I was more interested in the "total
compensation package" than I was the salary itself... paid time off,
tuition reimbursement, medical benefits, retirement plan, a shorter
commute, and job security.  In actuality, I accepted a salary that was
lower than my previous one, but the other components more than made up for
the difference, especially saving 2+ hours per day on commute time!

Think about the things that are making you consider a change and then try
and assign some "value" to those items and then use that to come up with a
list of the things you want to get away from and what would counteract them
in a new position, then see if you can negotiate for those.  As I told one
friend recently, in most large companies, paid time off is not negotiable
because it is applied universally, but you can ask about their policy for
time off without pay, then negotiate for a higher starting salary to allow
you to accommodate the unpaid leave.  Other corporate calculated benefits,
such as dental, medical and vision may not be negotiable, but if they have
multiple plans to choose from or a pre-tax medical savings account option,
this could be to your advantage.

Larry