I haven't been following this topic on the listserv, so my apologies if my
point has been previously stated.
In my experience, imaging, EDMS and other related vendors ( and/or
administrators) seldom consider the scheduled retention and destruction of
documents to be a priority.  They often have a technical viewpoint rather
than a "records" viewpoint.  They often do not consider the incorporation
of records disposition into their systems.  This is changing, since it is a
fundemental need of any records management system.
 My point is, that migration is not only part of a long term storage plan.
Integration of migration with disposition of records is an important
concept and one which must be considered in creating and implementing a
retention schedule.   Taking this into consideration is primarily a factor
when WORM type media is used.  Often the disposition of records is based on
an event date that is not known at the time that the record is stored.   If
the entire storage media (disk or ??) were to be preserved until all its
contents were ready for disposition, it is likely that much of it would be
retained long past its date of eligibility for disposition, adding to costs
of system maintenance, research and sometimes exposure to risks.
When determining retention periods, it may not be practical to consider
only the legal and business retention requirements but also the migration
plan.  In cases where prompt disposition of the record is of critical
importance, magnetic media may be advisable.  In cases where WORM media is
selected, it may be necessary to migrate the record more frequently than is
required by changing technology.  This is why I mention the technology
vendors, who will seldom consider more frequent migration because: 1) it
costs more,  2) they do not consider your records disposition needs when
designing or implementing a system, and 3) Often both system administrators
and managment are not aware of related issues or do not make them an issue
in the design or maintenance of related systems.
Again, this is based on my experience. I'm sure there are system vendors or
administrators that are aware of records managment fundementals and take
these factors into consideration.

Brent