Geez it must be hot down south. Paper with a content of 30% recycled
material ain't gonna last long. Especially when you consider the ink is
cooked onto the paper. Will the record last 75 years without degradation? I
doubt it. The percentage of loss will increase with the amount of handling,
environmental control, etc.. We all know the mantra.

What percentage of loss will occur over the life of an electronic record.
Who knows. I recommend you benchmark when you migrate and document loss.
Make sure your process is as sound as possible and live with the difference.
Also remember as technology develops things could get better. I believe that
the span between migrations will continue to expand. Loss in storage will
diminish and record integrity will be easier to maintain in the future. At
least now we are recognizing the importance of it.

Larry I am not a vendor and I still think 75 years from date of termination
is to long.

True, most retention periods by volume are relatively short. I also deal
with the retention of archival records. Records of intrinsic value are
imaged and retained, given the added attention a permanent records requires.
Records that are archival in their volume are imaged and disposed of. Keep
in mind also that, archival theory states that the record should be retained
in its original format wherever and whenever feasible to do so. Nearly all
records today are created electronically. It runs counter to archival theory
to move them into paper for storage.

The paperless office
You can do it if you want. Eventually I believe it will be done to you
whether you want it or not. There will continue to be an increase in the
amount of paper used every year. I like the analogy of horses. The
combustion engine replaced the horse in the LOB some time ago. One would
then say that the need for horses would decline and so would the numbers.
Oddly enough someone told me there more horses alive in the U.S. than ever
before. The use has changed the numbers increase because we have other uses.
Will paper be eliminated from the vast majority of business processes. Yes.
Will paper be eliminated? Not as long as eight year old boys continue to
make paper airplanes.

The lesson of the Domesday book was pay attention.

Remember Six years ago we didn't have ISO 15489, DOD 1515.2 and others. I
care that they exist. It brings a level of structure and uniformity to the
process. If we can develop into a viable profession we may be the ones that
ensure record integrity in the future.

Chris Flynn