From: McIntyre, Scott [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Preserving Media Forever

Hey Chris,

It sounds good, however, I send out two or three boxes of chrono files to my
offsite storage facility a week. Sure, we type everything out on the PC, but
we print them out and have raised seals and all of that. We have brought up
the idea of imaging time and again only to be pooh-poohed by upper echelons.
Even though imaging would be a major undertaking right now for my
department, our billing people would have a greater use for it than us. But,
nope.

If there is a paperless society coming, it will be run by people who are
right now much younger than me and I'm only 35. The "next generation" is
actually who will do this, if not them, then the "next-next generation".
But, the people who generate these paper documents are my contemporaries.
Just judging from my own firm, I cannot foresee paper going bye-bye. If I
did not routinely receive other firms paper documents, I'd think that maybe
we're simply behind the times or that one in a million firm. Sadly, they are
joining us in churning out more paper than ever with no sign of slowing
down.

But, either way, it's not the Records Managers who will make the change. We
may suggest it, but the higher ups need to carry it forward.

Just my opinion.

Scott