From: Robert Soutar [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: E-mail Retention/Management Software

Based on my experience with Users and e-mail retention and disposal, there is no
silver bullet software to manage e-mail based on corporate retention and
disposal schedules.  To successfully manage e-mail through retention and
disposal, User participation is the key to success.  Education of Users with
regard to transitory records policies and procedures, and integrating an RMA
software with their e-mail software is the approach that I have used.  Users
must be familiar with the corporate file plan so that they can drag and drop
from their e-mail software into the RMA software, which provides the retention
and disposal tools for e-mail as well as other electronic & paper records.
Training and support for Users in these processes is vital.

Many RMA software products are capable of integrating with e-mail software
(visit the DOD site to start your search for products).

Best of luck!

Bob Soutar
Manager, Information Management
Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation