Teresa you may have made a comment in jest, but maybe you are shedding light
where there is darkness too!  My husband is a safety consultant for several
large automobile dealerships in Houston.  Certain staff are asking about
securing records, mobile shelving, etc.  Never once have they thought to
contact any records management organization. (And here we have a large ARMA
community in Houston) And, the sad fact is I know that company has a
national records manager who is in ARMA. Why was the ball dropped for SOX in
that corporation from a records point of view? Instead the financial group
is defining how to manage their records, not the records management group.
Administrative and consultants (non-RIM) will coordinate the protection,
control, and access to the records.

I agree we (ARMA) have missed many boats.  The CPAs, Auditors, and Attorneys
were prepared for revenue for SOX and other regs. Accountants may have
messed up with Arthur Anderson, Enron, WorldCom and others--but they are
fighting and bouncing back. Where are we (ARMA) as an organization?  No
certifications or such on HIPPA or SOX--not any that stand up and give us
VERY STRONG cross-industry credibility.  Where are we on the USA Patriot Act
and what all of the financial institutions are doing for records? Have you
seen how many industries impacted by just that one act? I have attended
several training courses in the last several weeks on records management for
banking.  No one had heard of ARMA--they are all in compliance
positions--now records management per the government regs is their
responsibility not a records manager. They think records managers only
manage the boxes in offsite storage. The compliance officer is required to
monitor regulatory compliance for the bank, not a records manager.  We, as
an group, have lost a very valuable toe-hold.  We (ARMA) did not stay on top
of the SEC, HIPPA, SOX, US Patriot Act, AML, CIP --they are all regs that
contain records management requirements.  Where was ARMA when the financial
regs for banking defined who would now be responsible for records management
compliance?

Standards are great and have their place in business. But we have so many
contradicting each other for each industry.  The sad fact is when ISO was
created years ago, the whole intent was to avoid that, now they are just a
great big document generator for the whole world with each special interest
group trying to define and submit a piece of the pie.  Do you know how many
ISO standards there are?  But standards are just that they are not a law.
All of the blood, sweat, tears that ARMA members put into those documents,
are invalidated if we cannot also be recognized and validated in laws and
legislation too.

The first step is trying to monitor the legislative proposals going to
congress.  Doing so is a daunting task.  But chasing the rabbit instead of
inventing the game, will fail our industry in the long run.  When reading
legislative comments on how to manage banking records, I never saw any
official comments from ARMA.  Did I miss them?  I wish so, but now the law
is active and it is way too late for records managers to be the controlling
factor of records in those regs.

The bobble head doll of the librarian depicts what many people think of
archivists and records managers.  Many facets of business management still
have us dealing with paper and boxes.  And if lucky, building retention
schedules.  We have many, many gifted people in the RIM industry, their
value has been demonstrated on the list serv and their contributions to
individual companies and their peers for years.  Too bad we have not had
lobbyists (SP) for years, too, just like real estate brokers, insurance,
bankers, AARP, --you name it. Look where we could be...

Instead of standards, if the laws are being passed--have records managers
responsible for records not some other position in a business.  Go for the
guts of our country instead of feel good industry visibility or an
advertising campaign (the gusto).

It just breaks my soul to read new laws that total ignore a valuable sector
of people, all because we may not be fighting wisely. We struggle with our
heart, not our head. And we all know, laws will continue to be made, with or
without us.

Carolyn Trim, CRM