Elizabeth,
Sounds like most stories I hear.  Our facilities design & construction
department was being forced into a move to smaller quarters and thought
they could just image 1,000,000 current documents and another
1-2,000,000 drawings in a month or so.  In Arizona, state agencies (of
which we am one sort of) have to get state permission to purchase
imaging systems.  At the University the request has to come through me
so I got to explain the facts of life to the department.  They hadn't
even thought about what it took to index documents let alone routing,
workflow, etc. They had been told by vendor that it would only cost
$0.10 per image.  Costs are more like $2.00 per image with preparation
and indexing, etc.  Finally got them to agree to trying a pilot project
on a small construction project but they couldn't handle having the mail
opened centrally for instant imaging.  Haven't heard from them in months
so they are either doing something without approval or have dropped the
whole thing.  I agree that the as-builts, at least, should be available
digitally but they had no concept of cost or work involved.  Dick King