From: Judy Piccininni
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 9:03 AM
To: 'Records Management Program'
Subject: RE: Re: RAIN drop: Dewey Decimal sues

I agree.

It's interesting that the hotel doesn't consider paying for use of Dewey
as "intellectual property."  However, they would never dream of allowing
the use of their hotel (physical property) without fee.

I wonder if they don't consider Dewey to be so far back, as to
categorize it with Mozart or Beethoven, for example -- you have to pay
for a copy of the sheet music, but an orchestra does not need to pay in
order to perform it, as the rights are in the public domain.

Perhaps the hotel is thinking of Dewey as being so far back, as to be
from a different era.  Or maybe they're thinking -- "it's from the
library, so it must be free."  It's difficult to tell, really, why they
would refuse to pay such a small fee.

Judy Piccininni
What I've stated above, are my opinions, alone.