Good afternoon, I am a frequent lurker, taking this opportunity to
solicit opinions on a topic near and dear to all records managers
hearts. I manage the records department for a mid size (220 attorney)
law firm in the northeast. Wanting to be sure we maintain proper
confidentiality of all our clients information I am investigating
various options for disposal of paper. Any thoughts on this topic would
be most appreciative.

What do other people do to dispose of material in a confidential manner?

Do you run your own shredding machine? if so what type, how do you staff
it, how much volume goes through it etc.

If you have a vendor do the shredding for you what is the industry
standard for billing this service? by the pound, by the container, by
the minute?

Other then prompt efficient service what do you look for in a vendor?

What other methods are used to dispose of confidential material? trash,
incineration other?

Thanks much for you time.

Dana Yanaway
Records Manager